The number of new scientific and technical articles published every day is steadily rising. The sheer number of STM articles makes it is a challenge for publishers to use the traditional manual methods of editing and mark-up. AI tools can be the answer to this challenge, resulting in an increase in efficiency, quantity and quality for the research and publishing process.
In the past decade, AI and machine learning have transformed several industries radically, making it easier and faster to automate processes. In the STM publishing industry, AI-based technologies are being implemented to assist the publishers in tackling issues related to peer review, searching published content, detecting plagiarism, and identifying data fabrication.
Impact of AI on academic and STM publishing
For publishers, leveraging the benefits of artificial intelligence is a means of bringing more speed and efficiency to operations. AI will increase STM publishing community’s capacity to publish quality works. It will also make it possible to automate reviews of published works, reformatting of articles, content moderation, image recognition and auto tagging more efficiently.
With the help of artificial intelligence, publishing is smarter and more seamless than ever before. STM publishers use AI technologies to augment and automate many tasks, including:
- Fighting plagiarism with software that can identify components of whole sentences or paragraphs.
- The process of verifying citations becomes easier as the AI can quickly flag a quote that was incorrectly attributed or go through documents in minutes to spot miscited quotes.
- Interfaces for text editing can automatically tag text and create annotation based on information gathered.
- Image assessment algorithms could easily detect any sign of image manipulation. This can be extremely helpful for biomedical journals publication.
- Identifying new peer reviewers with broader searches
- Reporting when authors fail to report key information needed to make the decision to accept or reject a paper
- Finding bad statistics that can lead to false conclusions
- AI also provide critical point of reference for publishers when positioning a book. It helps each book reach its target readers.
- AI helps publishers in reader analytics, improving audience targeting
and increasing audience engagement
Publishing sector is changing rapidly, and it is compelled to adapt with new technologies. AI has the potential to radically speed up and increase the efficiency of the STM publishing sector. It adds value to the academic and professional publishing, while increasing the scope, credibility and accuracy of the content.
Versatile embraces the challenges of leveraging AI, and with the perfect balance of intelligent automation and human expertise streamlines every step of the STM publication process. We work closely with our clients to understand their specific STM publishing requirements and make use of the various technology-driven solutions to present content with ultimate precision for the academic reader base.